Department for Education coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
The Department for Education coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline is available to answer questions about COVID-19 relating to education and children’s social care. Staff, parents and young people can contact this helpline by calling:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm
Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm
Symptoms & Government Guidelines
- Pupils below the age of 18 years and 6 months and individuals who are fully vaccinated are not required to self-isolate and should continue to go to school if they live in the same household as someone with Covid OR are a close contact of someone with Covid. They will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace, informed they have been in close contact with a positive case and advised to take a PCR test.
- Anyone with Covid symptoms or a positive lateral flow device (LFD) test result should stay at home, self-isolate immediately and arrange to have a PCR test as soon as possible. Please keep the school (firstname.lastname@example.org) informed if a child has a positive LFD test and the outcome of the PCR test.
- If the PCR test is negative, the pupil can return to school. If the PCR test is positive, please inform the school and follow the latest Government guidance for confirmed Covid infections.
- If a child develops symptoms while at school, they will be asked to wait in one of our self-isolation rooms while a parent is contacted and asked to collect them as quickly as possible.
- Please keep children at home if they are feeling unwell. Even if they do not have COVID-19 symptoms, or their COVID-19 test is negative, they may still have an illness which could be passed on to other people.
COVID-19 Guidance for Parents of Children Attending Out of School Settings/Clubs: Guidance-for-parents-and-carers-of-children-attending-out-of-school-settings-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak
COVID-19 Support for Parents & Carers to Keep Children Safe Online: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-keeping-children-safe-online
COVID-19 - What Parents & Carers Need To Know About Early Years, Schools & Colleges during the Covid Outbreak: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/what-parents-and-carers-need-to-know-about-early-years-providers-schools-and-colleges-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/what-parents-and-carers-need-to-know-about-early-years-providers-schools-and-colleges-in-the-autumn-term
Guidance for local Authority Children's Services - https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/local-authority-childrens-services-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=01%20September%202021%20C19&utm_medium=Daily%20Email%20C19&utm_campaign=DfE%20C19
NHS COVID-19 App to download: https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/nhs-covid-19/